Tuesday, May 11, 2010

See's no Evil, Eat no Evil


Due to our family tradition I brought back a whole bunch of See's Candy from Seattle.  What is See's Candy you ask?  Why See's Candy happens to be the most delicious chocolate ever made on this earth and it's only sold out west.  It is tradition that when you visit out west you bring back a box for the rest of the family.  I was explaining to my family in Seattle all the unspoken rules that go along with this family tradition (should I break tradition and *gasp* speak the unspoken out loud....writing them down in the finality of all internetdom?  Hey, why not...it'll be fun!)

Rule #1.  If you visit out West you must buy See's Candy for all Relatives in your vicinity.  Relatives being defined as - one box per household within a one-two hour driving distance.  That means I brought back Three boxes of chocolates one for my family, one for my mom and dad, and one for my brother and his wife.  OK, I also bought lollipops and some other chocolate for my family but that's besides the point.

Rule #2.  Under no circumstance can you reveal that you have bought See's Candy and that you are bring it home with you as a gift.  It MUST be a surprise. 

Rule #3.  You must NEVER ask to be brought home See's Candy.  You must ALWAYS wait with breathless anticipation as to whether or not you will receive any See's Candy (even though you know you totally will.....it's tradition....which leads me to rule # 4)

Rule #4.  You must always wait with breathless anticipation until you finally have that gleaming box in your hand.  When you get that gleaming box in your hand you must act happy, excited, and surprised....not in a "I had No Idea you were going to do this!" kinda way, but surprised in a "Wow!! You did get me a box of See's Candy!!  I was hoping you would!!" kinda way.  Even though in the back your head you knew you were going to get that box of chocolate because....*tada*  it's Tradition!

10 comments:

  1. What a great tradition! :-D My mom was so happy about her Mother's Day gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you should add to the tradition by gifting your "western" relatives see's when you come visit, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Amen" to Amy's comments--I love See's candy--all the chocolates and the key lime pie flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really never crossed my mind that you would bring See's back from your trip to Seattle. So I really was surprised in a "I had No Idea you were going to do this!" kind of way! But I'm so glad you did. Does that mean you're ready for another box when I go to California next week?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That stock photo of the See's candy makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh! that looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silly Mom! That's because you followed the rules! Specifically #3, which can also be interpreted as: since you don't ask for it, you don't expect it, which means you get to be surprised! But, if you will note, all the rules are always observed, until now, they just have never been stated. The rules are what makes it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not that I don't otherwise feel this way, but this tradition really makes me glad to be a part of this family! :) I was so excited to get our first box of See's chocolates for Mother's day! Until becoming a part of this family years ago, I had never known the existence and divine pleasure of such candy! :) And now it is good to know the rules should I ever venture out west! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm finally getting around to commenting now that all the See's candy is gone. As you know, the bordeaux is the one candy that's hard for me to resist. But I love it all. And I'm glad I live in the West so I can eat it anytime I want!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For those that don't believe in obedient husbands...

    I completely forgot about this post, and after re-reading it, I realized that Sylvia has totally trained me (sit, David...sit!). While waiting for my flight at SFO a couple of weeks ago, I glanced over at the traditional Hudson's Books and noticed a See's stand. So I inconspicuously strolled over there, grabbed 3 boxes, and pondered on the joys of seeing the "surprised" faces upon my return bearing gifts. And who would have thought that this Floridian would get the See's bug!

    See baby, I can follow the rules, too!

    ReplyDelete