Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Karate Belt Test! KiYa!

Chase, Lilly, and I all Belt tested last Friday in Karate.  Chase earned his Advanced Blue Belt.  Lilly earned her Purple Belt.  And I earned my Blue Belt.  We are at the Karate Studio M, Tue, W, and Thur. Sometimes I think of adding Friday...but that's date-night....and also,possibly, might be overkill.....maybe...

Here is Lilly at the start of  her test. She really has a lot of fun with karate.  It's really cute on Monday's how she switches from her Karate Uniform to her Ballet clothes.  She loves them both.  She is in the Little Dragon's Class for ages 4-7. 
 
 

BACKFIST!!
  


This is Mr. Zach one of the Karate instructors, presenting Lilly's belt.  (Mr. Zach rocks by the way!  Totally one of my favorite instructors.)
 
Lilly has been tying her belt all by herself for quite some time.  For her age it's actually pretty awesome especially since she ties it correctly.
 
Lilly's officially Purple! She has been very excited to advance to her purple belt. 

 
She wanted a picture of the two of use before I tested for my blue belt since we were both purple belts....... at least for about an hour!

Chase's test was going on at the same time as Lilly's so I was having to run back and forth between the two.  In fact, you can see Lilly in the back of the picture on the other mat!  Chase is in the Child's Class which is ages 8-12.

 

Chase really love's Karate and is very good at it.  I don't just say that because I'm his mother either.  He really is very talented.  Unfortunately I was too busy managing two test to get any really cool pictures of him.  So you will just have to take my word for it!  

 
Here are Ms Kailey and Mr Ryan conferring with each other to see if the kids passed or failed the test. Usually everyone passes.  They don't let you test if they don't think you will pass  but I have been to a few tests where someone didn't pass.  I've even been in a test were a fellow team mate didn't pass.  They don't just hand you the belt.  You gotta earn it!
 

Everyone passed and here they are putting on their new belts!

 
 
Here's Chase with Ms Kailey and Mr Ryan, officially an advanced blue belt!  The belt's a little long so they are ordering him a smaller size.....It's all they way past his knees..Hee!  Ms. Kailey is Mr. Zach's Sister and is every bit as awesome!  Mr Ryan is the owner of the studio and provides a wholesome and positive environment for the kids and for us adults.

I don't really have any pictures of my test. I'm in the adult class which is ages 13 and up.  About half way through the word "waaaaaater" kept running through my head.  A test always has your form that you memorize (that's like a dance routine karate style!!.....they hate when I call it a routine, ha! Hey, I'm going to go practice my routine *jazz hands*)  Then you have to verbally say and then do three predetermined combination ( a series of punches and kicks done quickly in order).  Last you have one-steps which are basically take-down maneuvers that you verbally memorize and say and then execute on a partner. And then you review every punch, kick, and block that you are suppose to know (and of course do each one as many times as they tell you to or make it a jump x, or a spinning x, or a step-over x, or a jump spinning x,  or a jump step-over spinning x, you get the point.) Depending on who is giving the test, sometimes there are tons of push-up, jumping jacks, sit-ups, squats, etc. etc.    But this test had quite a lot of lower belts so they went pretty easy and we only had to do 50 or so crunches.   Just a quick note Chase had to do everything I mention above except the one-steps.  They don't do those in the child class (my guess is it's something along the lines of not wanting children flipping each other over their hips, or putting each other in step under arm locks to deliver round kicks to the face, it takes a lot of control not to hurt someone).  Everything else he has to do on a test.  So his tests are very challenging also. So that's a belt test, a lot of memorization, a lot of endurance, a lot of practice, and a lot of fun!







3 comments:

  1. There's an old saying "The family that plays together stays together" or in modern vernacular "If you fight, you're tight!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures and congratulations! Lilly looks ADORABLE in her uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to bond with your kids! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete